Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Half a million immigrants could eventually get US citizenship under new plan from Biden -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Half a million immigrants could eventually get US citizenship under new plan from Biden
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 03:36:45
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is Rekubit Exchangetaking an expansive, election-year step to offer relief to potentially hundreds of thousands of immigrants without legal status in the U.S. — aiming to balance his own aggressive crackdown on the border earlier this month that enraged advocates and many Democratic lawmakers.
The White House announced Tuesday that the Biden administration will, in the coming months, allow certain spouses of U.S. citizens without legal status to apply for permanent residency and eventually, citizenship. The move could affect upwards of half a million immigrants, according to senior administration officials.
To qualify, an immigrant must have lived in the United States for 10 years as of Monday and be married to a U.S. citizen. If a qualifying immigrant’s application is approved, he or she would have three years to apply for a green card, and receive a temporary work permit and be shielded from deportation in the meantime.
About 50,000 noncitizen children with a parent who is married to a U.S. citizen could also potentially qualify for the same process, according to senior administration officials who briefed reporters on the proposal on condition of anonymity. There is no requirement on how long the couple must have been married, and no one becomes eligible after Monday. That means immigrants who reach that 10 year mark any time after June 17, 2024, will not qualify for the program, according to the officials.
Senior administration officials said they anticipate the process will be open for applications by the end of the summer, and fees to apply have yet to be determined.
Biden will speak about his plans at a Tuesday afternoon event at the White House, which will also mark the 12th anniversary of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, a popular Obama-era directive that offered deportation protections and temporary work permits for young immigrants who lack legal status.
White House officials privately encouraged Democrats in the House, which is in recess this week, to travel back to Washington to attend the announcement.
The president will also announce new regulations that will allow certain DACA beneficiaries and other young immigrants to more easily qualify for long-established work visas. That would allow qualifying immigrants to have protection that is sturdier than the work permits offered by DACA, which is currently facing legal challenges and is no longer taking new applications.
The power that Biden is invoking with his Tuesday announcement for spouses is not a novel one. The policy would expand on authority used by presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama to allow “parole in place” for family members of military members, said Andrea Flores, a former policy adviser in the Obama and Biden administrations who is now a vice president at FWD.us, an immigration advocacy organization.
The parole-in-place process allows qualifying immigrants to get on the path to U.S. permanent residency without leaving the country, removing a common barrier for those without legal status but married to Americans. Flores said it “fulfills President Biden’s day one promise to protect undocumented immigrants and their American families.”
Tuesday’s announcement comes two weeks after Biden unveiled a sweeping crackdown at the U.S.-Mexico border that effectively halted asylum claims for those arriving between officially designated ports of entry. Immigrant-rights groups have sued the Biden administration over that directive, which a senior administration official said Monday had led to fewer border encounters between ports.
___
Associated Press writer Stephen Groves contributed to this report.
veryGood! (1695)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Mother, daughter killed by car that ran red light after attending Drake concert: Reports
- Woman killed at Chiefs' Super Bowl celebration identified as radio DJ Lisa Lopez-Galvan
- Stock market today: Asian shares track Wall Street rally as Japan’s Nikkei nears a record high
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Ex-Illinois lawmaker abruptly pleads guilty to fraud and money laundering, halting federal trial
- Tribes in Washington are battling a devastating opioid crisis. Will a multimillion-dollar bill help?
- Gun rights are expansive in Missouri, where shooting at Chiefs’ Super Bowl parade took place
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Nebraska lawmaker seeks to ban corporations from buying up single-family homes
Ranking
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Delta flight with maggots on plane forced to turn around
- New York redistricting panel approves new congressional map with modest changes
- Inter Miami preseason match Thursday: Will Lionel Messi play against hometown club?
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- 11 cold-stunned sea turtles returned to Atlantic after rehabilitation in Florida
- Management issues at Oregon’s Crater Lake prompt feds to consider terminating concession contract
- North Korea launches multiple cruise missiles into the sea, Seoul says
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Brother of dead suspect in fires at Boston-area Jewish institutions pleads not guilty
After searing inflation, American workers are getting ahead, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen says
'Jeopardy' contestant answers Beyoncé for '50 greatest rappers of all time' category
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
US eases restrictions on Wells Fargo after years of strict oversight following scandal
The 2024 Met Gala Co-Chairs Will Have You on the Floor
A Florida man was imprisoned 37 years for a murder he didn’t commit. He’s now expected to get $14M